Vanburen Missouri History
Excursion traffic began in the late 1980s with the Arkansas and Missouri railroads and has been in full swing ever since. Private operators have been testing the market and operating excursion trains for years. It offers a taste of the style of a bygone era, complete with a train stop at the old St. Louis County Courthouse and a view of downtown.
In the same decade, the Jefferson Highway opened, serving the cities of Grandin, Hunter and Ellsinore. The Kansa tribal area stretched as far as the Kansas-Missouri River intersection and included Garden State Park, Great Smoky Mountains National Park and Ozark National Forest.
The 400-hectare tract where the spring was located was resold, and the additional land surrounding it belonged to the heirs of the original owner, William T. Tolman. The point on the Current River was selected and named after Jackson, Missouri, which already existed. Randolph was apparently keen to explore and document the area after the Louisiana purchase. Randolph left Poca Hollow and Van Buren as his legacy and settled in 1811 in what later became Pocahontas, Arkansas. There are no records of Randolph's visit to the present-day city of VanBuren in the early 19th century.
Van Buren was founded in 1833 and was the twenty-ninth county in Arkansas three years before the state was founded. When the Missouri Lumber and Mining Company approved the current Frisco River branch in 1887, it brought the railroad to Carter County. Until 1910, when the M-NA railway passed through and a depot was set up in the Shirley settlement, there was little industry or economic development in the county.
After Missouri was incorporated into the slave state in 1821, the compromise prohibited slavery in the rest of the state, except for a small portion in Carter County. The Missouri compromise enabled Missouri to join the Union in 1861, thus maintaining its slave-state status - free state for the next 25-25 years.
The Union Army of Southeast Missouri camped in the area in the winter of 1862-63, and Carter County experienced a number of local skirmishes, but suffered minimal property damage before the war ended. The Union Army of the South camped in this area near the city of St. Louis, Missouri, on the Missouri-Arkansas border, from winter 1862 to 1863. Carter County saw the number and local battles of Fort Bragg in 1862 and Fort Belknap in 1863, as well as the Battle of Pemberton in 1864. By the end of the war, Carter Counties had seen the number and number of residents of these battles and suffered minimal property damage.
Several Confederate regiments were formed in the county, and Doniphan was stationed at Fort Belknap, where the Battle of Pemberton took place in 1864 and Fort Bragg in 1863.
The Arkansas-Missouri Railroad was one of the few commercial lines still operating in the United States for freight and passenger traffic. The two companies were created by the merger of two separate companies, the Arkansas and Missouri Railway Company (ARR) and the Missouri and Arkansas Railroad Corporation (MOR), and there were no direct links between the two companies in Vanburgh County.
In Vanburgh County, there was a place called Black Hawk, which was located in the middle of the Arkansas-Missouri line and is now located there. The triangular Clark County and the Missouri - Arkansas Railroad are the only two Missouri counties that share a Des Moines River within their borders.
The railroad had its first stop in Plymouth, Missouri, about 14 miles north of the Missouri-Arkansas line. The Campbell Gazetteer of Missouri then listed Barry County in 1875 as the first county in Vanburgh County with a population of about 1,000. I have occasionally found evidence of an early Plymouth known as Plymouth. About four kilometres south of Plymouth is a small town of the same name but with a different name, Plymouth Township.
The city was founded in 1833 and named after John L. Lafferty, one of the first settlers of Vanburgh County. The U.S. Civil War moved from Van Buren, Mo., to a town in Van Buren, Mo., after Carter County was founded. Perhaps the most important settler in this part of the county was John L. Lafferty, who came to Arkansas from Georgia. At that time, most of the people in Carter County were farmers and ranchers, most of them from the Missouri-Arkansas border area.
The area, now called Van Buren County, is located at the foot of the Ozark Mountains and has been inhabited for about 10,000 years. The first settlers of what was then Wayne County settled in Clark County and visited the area before settling there permanently. In his absence, his father Benjamin Carter traded horses and cows with the people of Vanburgh County for horses, cows and land in what is now Van Buren County, which was later to be established as the town of Van Burington.